Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 12-01-2012, 12:23 PM   #1
pera
Starter Motor

Default LW Focus - Air recirculation - issue/feature or a setting

Hi All,

A new LW Focus Trend joined the family beginning of December last year. I'ts got over 3400km on the clock now.

Been very happy with features and and performance so far. The only issue I have is that when I put the aircon on recirculated air, it switches back to normal outside air after 5 minutes.

When I mentioned this at the 3000km service they said they couldn't reproduce it, obviously not tested it.

Is this an issue? Or is it a setting that can be changed?

Thanks in advance.

pera is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2012, 04:59 PM   #2
sysh
A few screw loose

Default Re: LW Focus - Air recirculation - issue/feature or a setting

Welcome.. am a Focus Trend owner too. About 3,000 km on the clock. Have yet to get the "check up" done. I did notice about the recirulated air thing. I find it quite odd it switches to outside air after awhile. I'm not sure if it's an issue but probably a setting. Not sure how to change it though.
sysh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2012, 06:55 PM   #3
Golfer

It would be a safety feature. Saw a bit on TV last week about the very quick buildup of carbon dioxide levels inside cars when aircon set on recycle. The levels get very high and causing drowsiness.
Very smart feature that should not be ältered.
Golfer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2012, 10:41 PM   #4
rand0mn00b

happens in my LT focus as well. a bit longer than 5 minutes i think, but definitely happens

also changes to fresh air automatically if i change it to de-fog the front windscreen

also the rear windscreen de-fogger also turns off after a certain amount of time, not sure why
rand0mn00b is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2012, 06:31 PM   #5
wombat66

This happens in our LW Sport (with climate control). Looks like it's a "feature" . Bit annoying though.
wombat66 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2012, 12:02 PM   #6
Golfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombat66
This happens in our LW Sport (with climate control). Looks like it's a "feature" . Bit annoying though.
So is falling asleep at the wheel due to high carbon dioxide levels.
Golfer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2012, 05:25 PM   #7
wombat66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfer
So is falling asleep at the wheel due to high carbon dioxide levels.
True. But maybe it could stay on recirc for a bit longer. Especially when you are stuck behind some old rustbucket blowing black smoke at you, driving through dust storms or bush fire areas. Surely 30 minutes would still be safe. I don't think falling asleep at the wheel would be a problem on short trips.
Old 15-01-2012, 11:48 PM   #8
harveyr

Tried it on my LW Sport, and after 15 minutes it was still on recirc!

I'll tyr again tomorrow on a longer trip.
harveyr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2012, 07:25 PM   #9
wombat66

Quote:
Originally Posted by harveyr
Tried it on my LW Sport, and after 15 minutes it was still on recirc!

I'll tyr again tomorrow on a longer trip.
Maybe it depends on the settings. It definately does it on our LW Sport. I didn't time it but it was probably a bit longer than 5 minutes. The climate control was on but I'm not sure about the other settings. I'll take more notice next time.
Old 16-01-2012, 08:26 PM   #10
harveyr

Tried it again today. After 35 minutes it was still on recirc. I wish it would turn back to fresh air because my wife always leaves it on recirc which is potentially dangerous on long trips.
harveyr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2012, 11:32 AM   #11
josem

I miss the manual lever to control air re-circulation. You can control the amount of fresh air opening. The push button re-circulation is either you have full open or fully closed air circulation. Very expensive to repair too as what happend to my honda civic when the motor lever arm broke and the air intake does not fully close. Also have to wait a long time as the part was ordered from overseas (Thailand maybe).
josem is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2012, 11:15 PM   #12
pera
Starter Motor

Thank you for the replies.

It could be a safety feature but sure is annoying when you have to push a button every 5 minutes. I'll talk to my dealer to see if anything can be done to increase the time limit at least.
pera is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2012, 12:20 AM   #13
topdec
Starter Motor

Hi all
According to the car manual the only time the switch turns on and off is when/if you have climate control fitted. On the manual version A/C the car manual states that you can toggle/switch between recycled air. It does not say anything about switching itself off at any length of time.
I feel it stupid that it keeps switching off every 5 mins. or so. I have just bought a new Focus Trend and have asked the dealer for some explanation. All Ford has said that this is natural and there is nothing wrong with the switch.(no why's or therefore's)
Lets get practical if there is warm air coming into the car the A/C has to work that much harder so you do not get the full benefit of the A/C and the bottom line is more fuel consumption.
Ford will have to come up with a better explanation other than the ones I have read here in this forum.
topdec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2012, 11:21 PM   #14
Nolz

I have a sport with climate and it does automatically switch from recirc to fresh. However it doesnt do this within 5 or even 15 min. I notice it only switches back to recirc after a long period of reaching what I think, it thinks is the set temp.

I actually like this feature!
Nolz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2012, 12:42 AM   #15
topdec
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolz
I have a sport with climate and it does automatically switch from recirc to fresh. However it doesnt do this within 5 or even 15 min. I notice it only switches back to recirc after a long period of reaching what I think, it thinks is the set temp.

I actually like this feature!

Hi
That is right with the climate control the recirc. turns off and on so it can regulate the temp. inside the car.

I have not got climate control in mine. All Ford can tell me that there is nothing wrong with the switch. I still want to know why the recirc. switches off on the manual A/C units.
topdec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2012, 06:07 PM   #16
Foconatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdec
Hi
That is right with the climate control the recirc. turns off and on so it can regulate the temp. inside the car.

I have not got climate control in mine. All Ford can tell me that there is nothing wrong with the switch. I still want to know why the recirc. switches off on the manual A/C units.
Hope you find your answer. I do know most new vehicles,(and someone may have already mentioned this elsewhere) if the vent settings are on windscreen or windscreen/foot settings it automatically switches from recirc to fresh and switches the a/c on.
Foconatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post