Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 08-03-2012, 11:25 PM   #1
boss-man

Default tricks and tips for ur new focus

Just found when the car is locked and you press unlock button for a few seconds all 4 windows go down and when you press lock button for a few seconds all 4 windows close again...

Anyone else found anything interesting....

boss-man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2012, 12:45 AM   #2
rand0mn00b

Default Re: tricks and tips for ur new focus

yeah that's a cool trick

another one that I learnt (at least can be done on the LT) is if you have the car in at Ford for a service/warranty/recall whatever, ask them to re-programme the car to auto lock its doors when you start driving

one you should be able to do yourself is programme how the doors unlock. when i press unlock on my remote it only opens the drivers' door unless i press unlock twice quickly which opens all 4 doors. instructions in your owners manual
rand0mn00b is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2012, 12:51 AM   #3
boss-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by rand0mn00b
yeah that's a cool trick

another one that I learnt (at least can be done on the LT) is if you have the car in at Ford for a service/warranty/recall whatever, ask them to re-programme the car to auto lock its doors when you start driving
now that i want!
Old 09-03-2012, 01:18 AM   #4
Neale
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it can also be done on the LS models from the Zetec model upwards.

Theres also the follow home lights that come on when you switch off the ignition, you hit the highbeams & the headlights will stay on for 20 seconds after the last door has been closed.

I found a dealer manual on the LS focus & theres a few other tricks for locking the car that they dont tell you in the user manual. Sadly it doesnt have directions on how to activate the auto lock, but these may be helpful. Im not sure if they work on the later models but they will work on the LS

Double Locking

-Double locking is an additional theft protection feature, which prevents the vehicle's doors being opened from inside the vehicle.

-Double locking is only possible when the front doors are closed.

- To activate the double locking:
- With the Key: Turn the key in the drivers door to the lock position twice within three seconds.
- With the remote: Press the lock button twice within three seconds.

- The turn indicators will flash twice as confirmation.

One Step -Two Step Unlocking

- The Central Locking system can be programmed to unlock only the drivers door or all the doors when the unlock button on the remote is pressed once. If the system is programmed to only unlock the drivers door, pressing the unlock button on the remote a second time within three seconds will unlock the other three doors.
- To change the system to unlock all the doors, from only unlocking the drivers door or visa versa, first turn the ignition key to 'Off'. Then hold the lock and unlock buttons of the remote down together until the turn signal indicators flash twice to confirm the change has occored successfully. The remote buttons will need to be held together for about four seconds.
Neale is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2012, 02:16 PM   #5
mcouldrey

Another tip,

If you let your clutch out to the point where it starts to grab and hold it, whilst giving it heaps of gas, this is called a front wheel skid burnout!
mcouldrey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2012, 07:59 PM   #6
ConradP

Quote:
yeah that's a cool trick

one you should be able to do yourself is programme how the doors unlock. when i press unlock on my remote it only opens the drivers' door unless i press unlock twice quickly which opens all 4 doors. instructions in your owners manual
Always wanted this in my car! I forget to lock them normally. Hopefuly works with the LV lx
Old 09-03-2012, 10:51 PM   #7
Nolz

HOT TIPS!!!!! Thanks : ) The locking/unlocking features I thought were neglected simply need to be activated. Joy!
Nolz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-03-2012, 11:42 PM   #8
boss-man

Another one.... one touch up and down from driver side switches for all 4 windows and each individual window has one touch up and down!!
Old 10-03-2012, 01:21 PM   #9
fourl6
AU Falcon Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss-man
Just found when the car is locked and you press unlock button for a few seconds all 4 windows go down and when you press lock button for a few seconds all 4 windows close again...

does the Ambiente do the same thing?

2015 SZ MkII Ford Territory TS
Aero Blue, RWD Petrol, Standard Sat Nav.

2013 TF Ford Kuga Ambiente
Panther Black, AWD, 6 Speed Auto, 1.6lt ecoBoost Turbo Petrol.

Was
2012 FG Mk2 Ford Falcon XR6
Swift Green,6 Speed Auto, Stock...

2001 AUIII Ford Falcon Forte
Genuine T2 TS50 bodykit, 18" BF Cobras, Boge and Eibach Suspension and Complete AU2 Fairmont Ghia Interior

1994 EF Ford Fairmont
Gun Metal Grey, Lumpy Straight 6
fourl6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2012, 01:35 PM   #10
Nichol

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss-man

I love this feature, because it open up my sunroof aswell. Once the windows are all going down, if you press the unlock button again quick enough, the windows will stop - good if you don't want them all the way down.
Nichol is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2012, 10:10 AM   #11
James_bf
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Thumbs up Re: tricks and tips for ur new focus

How about extra trip computer functions?
Press and hold the right "OK" button, then switch the ignition on (don't have to start engine). Keep holding the OK button. After about 5 seconds the screen will change.
There are a bunch of screens you can use the right up/down for. On some of them pressing right will get related screens.
I like the guage sweep and digital speedo.

Works great on my Titanium.
James.
James_bf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 11-03-2012, 10:59 AM   #12
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Dunno if the new Focus does it, but you can change some of the measurements on the display to imperial ie miles. Useless feature though.
Old 11-03-2012, 04:04 PM   #13
boss-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
Dunno if the new Focus does it, but you can change some of the measurements on the display to imperial ie miles. Useless feature though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by James_bf
How about extra trip computer functions?
Press and hold the right "OK" button, then switch the ignition on (don't have to start engine). Keep holding the OK button. After about 5 seconds the screen will change.
There are a bunch of screens you can use the right up/down for. On some of them pressing right will get related screens.
I like the guage sweep and digital speedo.

Works great on my Titanium.
James.
yip my sport has both those....
Old 12-03-2012, 02:12 AM   #14
boss-man

Discovered another one today....in satnav settings you need to select or tick box "speed limit" this then gives you the current speed limit of the road you are traveling on, but not only in satnav mode but even if ur using the radio or cd it shows the speed limit in the bottom left corner of center screen
Old 12-03-2012, 08:43 AM   #15
wombat66

The trouble with showing the speed limit is they are often incorrect. We turned it off after finding it was often wrong.
Old 12-03-2012, 10:27 AM   #16
boss-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombat66
The trouble with showing the speed limit is they are often incorrect. We turned it off after finding it was often wrong.
So far it's been on the dot for me but I'll keep monitoring though...
Old 12-03-2012, 11:05 AM   #17
James_bf
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Has anyone every accidently swapped their windscreen wipers over while washing their car.
Each wiper has an individual motor, and needs to be turned slightly before lifting to clear the bonnet.
When washing once, I swapped them over so that the passenger side wiper was on top (normally the driver side sits on top).
When I started the car, the passenger side went up and stopped, then the driver side went up and stopped. Normal operation resumed by the passenger side going down first followed by the drivers side. Hope I explained this OK. Was a little freaky to watch .

James.

Last edited by James_bf; 12-03-2012 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Grammar.
James_bf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2012, 11:08 AM   #18
boss-man

Ha yeah seen a YouTube video about that...
Old 12-03-2012, 11:17 AM   #19
ConradP

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_bf
Has anyone every accidently swapped their windscreen wipers over while washing their car.
Each wiper has an individual motor, and needs to be turned slightly before lifting to clear the bonnet.
When washing once, I swapped them over so that the passenger side wiper was on top (normally the driver side sits on top).
When I started the car, the passenger side went up and stopped, then the driver side went up and stopped. Normal operation resumed by the passenger side going down first followed by the drivers side. Hope I explained this OK. Was a little freaky to watch .

James.
Sounds like my friends audi, check in your manual there could be a way to set them properly for washing, he had to hold them in the on position for 3 seconds while the car was on then turn it off and keep holing it or something like that.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:41 PM   #20
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConradP
Always wanted this in my car! I forget to lock them normally. Hopefuly works with the LV lx
Has anyone confirmed this self locking function can be done for LV focus? It's at the dealer now so will ask when they call me. How else can the car be locked while on the move? Will pressing the fob button work when driving I wonder?
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2012, 02:52 PM   #21
ConradP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
Has anyone confirmed this self locking function can be done for LV focus? It's at the dealer now so will ask when they call me. How else can the car be locked while on the move? Will pressing the fob button work when driving I wonder?
With mine I need to press the lock thing above the door handle, locks all 4 doors for mine, it's a LX.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:46 PM   #22
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Ok... I must have misplaced my bottle of peroxide...

Blonde moment number 1.... Buying a train ticket from Rockdale to Parramatta to collect the car only to find after about an hr into the trip that I caught the late running train instead of mine and ended up in Chatswood. Finally ran into the dealer at 5:20, 2 hrs after buying my ticket on what should have been a 53 min trip.

Blonde moment number 2... working out after a year of ownership that the black rectangle above the door handle is infact the door button mechanism. I mean really Ford, no red or white square like other cars? No lock / unlock symbol.

So... I now know how to lock the car internally while on the moove, and the dealer had no clue of the update that will activate auto locking (he asked another chap in the office who said it was only standard on 'premium' models), but the guy I deal with did come out to the car trying to find it on the dash menu to no avail.

The boot leak 'could not be found' - although they did re-seal the lights again and they changed the column mounted radio controls due to the volume jumping up and down several notches with 1 press.

Next heavy rain I will be watching that hatch area like a hawk....

At least the lotto ticket in the back seat pocket was still there!
Old 12-03-2012, 08:16 PM   #23
REDDYZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourl6
does the Ambiente do the same thing?
Yes, it does. You can customise this setting. When you press and hold unlock, you can set it in a way that the windows slide down all the way or only to a certain position. Refer for owners manual for detailed instructions
Ex Cougar - 00' MTX 2.5L (Limited edition Eibach Cougar); Dark Green Tourmaline; Lowered with Eibach tuned suspension from factory; SVT UIM, LIM & Throttle body; Supercat 2.5" dual exhaust with twin pipe quad outlets; Custom headers; Custom coloured instrument cluster; K&N Apollo CAI kit; Calibre oil catch can.

Now driving a Lexus RX 450h. Your guess is correct that I am a family man now.
REDDYZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2012, 08:28 PM   #24
REDDYZ

Double locking shouldn't allow unlocking doors from inside but somehow my sister's ambiente isn't working this way. Able to unlock from inside after double locking.

Is rain sensing wipers standard on Ambiente? I ve noticed in rain with wipers off as soon as reverse gear is engaged rear wiper is turning on. I don't understand why they didn't make it standard on the front ones too.

Is it possible to turn on/off seat belt warning on ambiente?? Seat belt warning ins't working in my sister's ambiente. I can see the buckle is wired and properly plugged in both driver side and passenger side but not seems to be working. Have to check fuses next time when possible. Just wondering if anyone else has this issue?
Ex Cougar - 00' MTX 2.5L (Limited edition Eibach Cougar); Dark Green Tourmaline; Lowered with Eibach tuned suspension from factory; SVT UIM, LIM & Throttle body; Supercat 2.5" dual exhaust with twin pipe quad outlets; Custom headers; Custom coloured instrument cluster; K&N Apollo CAI kit; Calibre oil catch can.

Now driving a Lexus RX 450h. Your guess is correct that I am a family man now.
REDDYZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2012, 08:35 PM   #25
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDDYZ

Is it possible to turn on/off seat belt warning on ambiente?? Seat belt warning ins't working in my sister's ambiente. I can see the buckle is wired and properly plugged in both driver side and passenger side but not seems to be working. Have to check fuses next time when possible. Just wondering if anyone else has this issue?
On the LV, when you cycle through the dash options / settings there is a menu for 'chimes'. Perhaps it is under there, providing you have the same sort of menu system??
Old 12-03-2012, 09:04 PM   #26
rand0mn00b

Quote:
Mine is an LT Focus Zetec and it could be done. Does your car happen to be at Thomson Ford Parramatta? That's where I got mine re-programmed.

At the time they also mentioned it was a 'menu' option but I'm guessing not my in-car computer's menu because there's nothing there of the sort.

Seems like you answered your second question yourself and by another post below

Perhaps the computer on your LV is different, but the seat belt alert is one of the most annoying sounds to come out of my car! I'm pretty sure there have been other threads about owners not being able to switch it off! (at least not on the LS/LT)
Old 12-03-2012, 10:57 PM   #27
ConradP

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDDYZ
Is rain sensing wipers standard on Ambiente? I ve noticed in rain with wipers off as soon as reverse gear is engaged rear wiper is turning on. I don't understand why they didn't make it standard on the front ones too.
If you have the front wipers on and not the rears and you're in reverse the rear one goes on, no idea about the auto wipers though.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:50 PM   #28
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Mine is an LT Focus Zetec and it could be done. Does your car happen to be at Thomson Ford Parramatta? That's where I got mine re-programmed.

At the time they also mentioned it was a 'menu' option but I'm guessing not my in-car computer's menu because there's nothing there of the sort.
Yeah, my car was at Thomson Ford. So, the LT is 2 models back from my LV I assume?? Do you remember who did it, and did they keep a record of it perhaps?

Now that I know where the inside door lock buttons are I guess it isn't really much of an issue, would be nice however if it is a simple software update etc.

Cheers,

Jason
Old 13-03-2012, 01:15 AM   #29
rand0mn00b

Quote:
Yeah, my car was at Thomson Ford. So, the LT is 2 models back from my LV I assume?? Do you remember who did it, and did they keep a record of it perhaps?

Now that I know where the inside door lock buttons are I guess it isn't really much of an issue, would be nice however if it is a simple software update etc.

Cheers,

Jason
LT was the model before LV (there was no LU) and these 2 along with the LS are all part of the MK2 Focus line whereas the new LW would be considered the MK3 Focus

The service manager who cared for my car was Lee Elias (one of the best customer experiences I have had). Because of Lee's going beyond the call of duty I used to take my car to Thomson Ford for servicing all the time back when I had money to burn. Haven't been back for a while though =\

Anyway, not sure how much use it will be to you according to the service invoice (from July 2009):

Operation: 8FO12
Description: "CENTRAL LOCKING INOP"
Comment: "RE-PROGRAM CENTRAL LOCKING - REFER TO CUSTOMER."
RESET GEM SETTINGS USING IDS
CARRIED OUT INSPECTION AND TESTED ALL IS OK
SO THAT OPTION IS ACTIVE
Tech(s): 38 & 80

Last edited by rand0mn00b; 13-03-2012 at 01:21 AM.
Old 13-03-2012, 02:13 AM   #30
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
LT was the model before LV (there was no LU) and these 2 along with the LS are all part of the MK2 Focus line whereas the new LW would be considered the MK3 Focus

The service manager who cared for my car was Lee Elias (one of the best customer experiences I have had). Because of Lee's going beyond the call of duty I used to take my car to Thomson Ford for servicing all the time back when I had money to burn. Haven't been back for a while though =\

Anyway, not sure how much use it will be to you according to the service invoice (from July 2009):

Operation: 8FO12
Description: "CENTRAL LOCKING INOP"
Comment: "RE-PROGRAM CENTRAL LOCKING - REFER TO CUSTOMER."
RESET GEM SETTINGS USING IDS
CARRIED OUT INSPECTION AND TESTED ALL IS OK
SO THAT OPTION IS ACTIVE
Tech(s): 38 & 80
Ok sweet, thanks for that. See how I go with it come service time.

Thanks again.

Jason