Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 21-06-2013, 02:33 PM   #1
marcosanga

Default TDI clutch issues

Hey guys

My Mrs has an 07 focus TDI 6 sp.
About a week ago she complained that the clutch felt funny.
I found it to be intermittently having the clutch pedal get stuck about halfway to the floor.
Still changes ok and everything, you can get yr foot and lift the pedal up and away you go.
Heard a few peeps on here talk about faulty clutch return springs and overcentre springs causing similar issues.
Had a look myself and seemd ok to look at.
Took it to ford dealer, they said they have had a few springs go on them but mine checked out ok, and they thought it would prob be the clutch master cyl causing the issue.
This was replaced 2 days ago, picked it up felt ok, mrs drove it to work and on the way home yesterday the clutch pedal dropped half way down to the floor again.
I then drove it home for her and as i drove home the pedal gradually diminished to the point that i couldn't select gears.
The pedal went all the way to the floor and i had to double clutch it to get it home, tried once too much to jam it into gear and now i think ive done a shift cable cos the shifters gone all floppy.
Got it towed back to them now they're talkin clutch slave cyl which is mounted internal to the gearbox bell housing.
Do i just have to wear the charges for the clutch master cyl ? even though it wasnt the culprit, where do i stand here..
And anyone else have anything similar happen with theyre clutch..

Old 22-06-2013, 04:36 PM   #2
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: TDI clutch issues

i guess you can try and pin the dealer for not fixing the problem, whether they will go for it or not is another question , they might give you consideration for the inconvenience of being towed/breaking down with a reduced cost to fix the other item, i think that would be the most likely scenario, as you said after fitting the new cylinder it worked fine for a period of time, that is the way the mechanic viewed it too......... no one has a crystal ball unfortunately, hope it is resolved quickly and cheaply for you .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2013, 12:25 AM   #3
Citwit

Default Re: TDI clutch issues

Had the brake/clutch fluid been changed? The LT service guide states that the brake and clutch fluid should be changed every 2 years. After I had paid to have the local dealer change the brake fluid in mine, I quizzed the service manager as to whether they had changed the clutch fluid as well. He admitted they hadn't and only done the brake fluid. From the wording of the service guide I think it is implied that the clutch fluid should be done as part of a brake fluid change.
Not that it is necessarily the cause of the problem here, but failure to change the clutch fluid will contribute to premature failure of the hydraulic clutch.
Citwit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post