View Single Post
Old 06-05-2024, 08:33 AM   #62
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 
Default Re: VFACTS April 2024

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
The argument for diesel has always been the torque, but modern turbo engines do that too. As for the 2.2 I have, that torque is only available at 1800 revs and nowhere else, it's got nothing up to that point, nothing after it. So its sh.t to drive, noisy when you need to rev it out and painfully slow everywhere, downright dangerous in some situations. The engine in that vehicle lets the whole show down, I'm otherwise very happy with the thing.

Apparently the above is what customers want.
Currently, the base model XLs come with a single turbo 125 Kw version of the 2.0 diesel.
It has a 6-speed auto which is affordable, well proven technology and sufficient for fleets.

Here’s the thing,
Ever since Australians jumped to diesels to get better fuel economy, the oil companies
have permanently jacked up diesel prices at the pump to the point where you have to wonder
whether the added up front cost, higher maintenance costs and emissions issues are worth it
when perhaps a lower cost Ecoboost 2.3 petrol engine may be a better fit….

As a retail buyer in another segment, I normally purchase a basic petrol engine over a turbo diesel.
Sure, it doesn’t have a lot of poke but they are normally super reliable and cheap to service.
Every time I go to Costco and fuel up for $1.90, I look at diesel nearly 30 or 40 cents dearer
and see the savings each time I fill up. I can imagine people with petrol tradie Utes think the same…

And guys, I get that the V6 diesel is a runaway success in Ranger and Everest
but that success seems to have thrown a lot of shade on the 2.0 diesel so
perhaps offering a 2.3 EB or even the 2.7 EB V6 are possible alternatives for
Ford to consider but they would want to be darned sure that’s what customers want
and not just a few on the internet advocating something nice to see.

Last edited by jpd80; 06-05-2024 at 08:41 AM.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote
3 users like this post: